One of the questions we hear most often around Squam Lake Inn is “What are the best hikes in the Lakes Region?” While it’s definitely a matter of personal preference and ability (our staff debated this topic spiritedly for quite some time), we think there are amazing hikes for any level only a few minutes from here in Holderness, around Squam Lake & beyond. Here is our vote for the top five hikes in the Lakes Region:
- West Rattlesnake, Holderness, NH – A 10 minute drive from the Inn, this short 30 minute ascent is perfect for anyone looking to enjoy an easy hike with a stunning view of Squam Lake. We especially recommend this hike at sunset or sunrise; The warm, peaceful colors reflecting off the water is a site to see.
- Five Finger Point, Holderness, NH – Connected to West and East Rattlesnake trails, this short enjoyable hike loops you around the Five Finger Point peninsula. End up shoreline with breathtaking views of Squam Lake.
- Chamberlain Reynolds Forest, Holderness, NH – This is not considered a hike, but it is our favorite nature walk in the region. This is perfect for anyone who is looking to avoid a strenuous climb. This 157 acre forest is covered with trails leading to and around the shores of Squam Lake. The Squam Lakes Association beautifully maintains 3.5 miles of trails including a boardwalk through the wetlands, with access to several small, secluded beaches.
- Mt. Morgan/Mt. Percival, Holderness, NH – The Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival loop is a local favorite. With ladders to climb and caves to trek through, this moderate hike is a wonderful experience that offers spectacular views of the lakes and mountains.
- Red Hill, Moultonborough, NH – A moderate hike with great views of Squam Lake and Lake Winnipesaukee. At the summit you will find a fire tower and a warden’s cabin. Brave souls have been known to climb the fire tower, providing stunning panoramic views of both Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake!
The Lakes Region offers many hikes of all levels for anyone looking to enjoy the great outdoors. We think Squam Lake Inn is a pretty special place that provides a wonderful place to stay and fantastic dining, but we believe that getting outside and experiencing what the area has to offer is what makes this area truly magical. From the wildlife, to the picturesque views, to meeting fellow hikers on the trails, these five Lakes Region hikes will live up to your expectations and more. The majestic mountains and calming waters are waiting for you to discover them.
After your full day of adventure return to the inn to relax on our covered front porch, dine at the Inn Kitchen + Bar, and share in wonderful conversation.