The New Hampshire Lakes Region is a serene area filled with natural beauty and activities for everyone throughout the Spring, Summer, Fall, & Winter! The Squam Lake Inn is ideally located in the heart of the Lakes Region, walking distance to downtown Holderness, a short 15 minute drive to Meredith and Center Harbor on Lake Winnipesaukee, and only half an hour to the stunning White Mountains; You couldn’t ask for a better place to dine and relax while enjoying the great outdoors! We have curated the following list of activities and attractions to enhance your stay and our staff is here for any other questions you might have.
On Golden Pond & Cruises
- On Golden Pond – The beloved Academy Award-winning 1981 film starring Henry Fonda & Katherine Hepburn was filmed right here on Squam Lake. Read more about one of Squam Lake’s Treasures.
- Squam Lake Cruises – One of the best ways to learn more about our beautiful lake and get up close and personal with the amazing wildlife of the area (including our resident pair of bald eagles!) is a lake cruise with the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center. You can pick up tickets right at the inn and it is only a few minutes walk.
- Get on the Water – If you really want to understand why locals and guests alike have fallen in love with Squam Lake, you need to get out there and spend a few hours enjoying the peaceful beauty on a marine bound vessel. Each one offers its own special experience:
Boat Tours, Rentals & Sailboats
- Private Boat Trips – We highly recommend the personalized boat tours from Experience Squam. Whether you want to swim, fish or just relax, they create a memorable experience on every trip.
- Powerboat Rentals – There are a number of local marinas within walking distance if you want to rent a boat and explore on your own. They have a number of vessels available and depending on the engine, you might not need a boating license. Read about our top choices for rentals and places to explore Here.
- Sailboat Rentals – If you have a little experience, a sailboat rental on the lake is a truly unforgettable way to become one with nature. We recommend rentals from The Squam Lakes Association.
Paddleboards, Kayaks & Swimming
- Paddleboarding – Squam Lake is one of the optimal locations to experience this rapidly growing activity. With the number of days the lake is “like glass” and the numerous coves and islands to explore, this is one of the best places to Paddleboard in New Hampshire.
- Kayaking & Canoeing – If you really want to be able to explore every nook and cranny of Squam Lake, we highly recommend a day out on a kayak or canoe. There are plenty of places to launch your own, or rentals are available from The Squam Lakes Association. Take a look at our favorite Squam Lake Kayak Itinerary.
- Lake Winnipesaukee – We never get tired of kayaking, paddling, boating and swimming on Squam Lake, but if you are looking for a change of scenery and the busier side of the Lakes Region, we recommend spending some time on our neighbor lake. Take a look at our list of Top Things to Do on Lake Winnipesaukee.
For an updated list of seasonal area events, please visit the Lakes Region Calendar of Events.
Dining, Shops and Hiking
- Dining – We may be biased, but we think dinner at the on-site Inn Kitchen + Bar Restaurant is the best way to experience the local flavors of the Lakes Region. If you are on the go or looking for a stroll through town, grab lunch, coffee or a snack at the nearby Squam Lake MarketPlace.
- Shopping & Antiques – The Lakes Region is chock full of unique shops, interesting garden stores, and roadside antiques. Read about some of our staff favorites Here
- Hiking – For the small size of Holderness it boasts a number of outstanding hikes and nature walks. From panoramic views of Squam Lake, to easy walks that get you up close to nature, there is something for everyone.
Wildlife, Music and Theater
- Wildlife in the Lakes Region – The Lakes Region abounds with a number of species of animal, bird and marine life. While the Loon has become an unofficial symbol of the region, dig deeper and you will be rewarded.
- Bank of New Hampshire Pavillion – This popular covered outdoor concert venue (formerly called Meadowbrook) in nearby Meredith, NH attracts a fantastic lineup every year. Take a look at their schedule Here.
- Little Church Theater – Theater, art and music on the shores of Squam Lake. New Hampshire Magazine’s Editor’s pick for best tiny theater!
Covered Bridges, Foliage & Mountains
- Covered Bridges – A favorite guest activity during the fall foliage is driving around the White Mountains and viewing and taking pictures of our many picturesque covered bridges. Read more about our Favorite Covered Bridges in New Hampshire.
- Fall Foliage – Discover what guests have known for years. The fall colors around Squam Lake and in the White Mountains are breathtaking. They begin to show their “true colors” in mid-September and can hang on through the end of October. Explore everything magic about Fall Foliage in New Hampshire and be sure to check our special New Hampshire Fall Foliage Getaway Package...
- The White Mountains – are truly one of the most magnificent features of New Hampshire, and all of New England.
Nearby Towns, University & Schools
- Nearby Towns – While Holderness is our favorite little town in the Lakes Region, there are a number of nearby towns to explore:
- Meredith – The “big city” on the lake. There are a number of dining options, boating, shops, summer concerts and more. Read more about our Favorite Things to Do in Meredith.
- Center Harbor – A smaller town on the other side of Squam Lake that also borders Lake Winnipesaukee. Here’s what you need to know if you are spending A Day in Center Harbor
- Plymouth - A bustling college town that quiets down during the summer months but still has a charming downtown to enjoy.
- Plymouth State University - Whether you are coming for a graduation weekend, sporting event, or scholastic endeavor, Squam Lake Inn is the perfect location for your visit.
- Holderness School – Are you a scholar visiting for a seminar at Gordon Research Center, or a parent visiting the school for your current or prospective student? We are a few short miles from campus and the perfect place to dine and lay your head.